My Pregnancy

pregnancy calendar

Friday, March 27, 2009

Water For Elephants and My Sisters Keeper

A book written by Sara Gruen....

I started reading this book a couple of days ago and could not remember why I had purchased it. I didn't remember even what the general plot was about. When I started, I was actually a little disappointed because it is about a train circus back in the depression-era and is told from the point of view of an old man. So, I had a little bit of a hard time getting "into" the book. tonight, I started reading the book at 10:00 p.m., I was on page 40, and just finished the rest of it. It is 335 pages long! I got totally engrossed and fell in love with all of the characters. I will have to say that it has a lot of sex in it and there is also a lot of inappropriate language, so don't go out and read it if those kinds of things are offensive to you. But the lesson learned is a good one. We should really value the presence of people, no matter who they are. We should respect our elders and know that they have so many interesting things to say. Yes, sometimes it is hard to get past the "same old" stories that you hear all the time but the truth is that every person is unique and interesting and how great would it be to cherish every single bit of that while they are still around for you to be able to!

Anyway, this was a great book and probably one that will stay on my mind for awhile. I have read quite a few really good books like this lately and really love diving into the world of fantasy even if sometimes it is a little depressing like the Jodi Picoult books that I have been reading. She is quite amazing also.

The first book that I read of hers was called "My Sister's Keeper". It was about a girl who was conceived so that she could be a "donor" for her sister then when she was 13 she decided that she didn't want to be "the donor" anymore. That is all that I will say about the plot because you can read that much on the back of the book. The thing that I loved the most about her writing was that she didn't take a side on the issues that were presented. She simply stated the facts from every persons angle and let you decide what your opinion would be from that. I'm still not entirely sure what I would do in the situation that each character was put in and I don't think that I would ever know unless I was (heaven forbid) put into that position. This book also uses the "f" word several times so don't read it if you are going to yell at me later that about that, the book is great though and I would recommend it to my dad!

Well, now I am just rambling on about the book but I definitely think that you should read that one.

No comments: