My Pregnancy

pregnancy calendar

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

April 1, 2009

Before Delivery:


The nurse came in at 5:00 a.m. to take the cervidil out and I got to get up and take a shower. Then they started the pitocin at 5:35 a.m. and I went about putting my makeup on and trying to relax.

Dr. Hall came in at 7:20 a.m. to check me and I was dilated to about a 1 and he was able to break my water. Immediately after he broke my water I started having contractions one on top of the other. It was pretty painful so I had Jeremiah go out and ask the nurse (whose name was Heather) to please give me some drugs! She came in and gave me staydol through my IV at 8:15 a.m. That stuff is weird! I slept for about an hour and then after that it was like my entire life was consumed by contractions. I would sleep and forget where I was and what was happening until I started to have a contraction and it would feel like a week until I remembered what we were doing then I felt like I had JUST had a contraction, what was another one doing coming so soon! At one time when I was awake for a contraction I told Jeremiah to please call Valerie and my mom because I really needed them here.

At 9:30 a.m. Valerie showed up and asked the nurse to please check me because my contractions were coming so fast and hard. I was only dilated to a 2.5 At this point the nurse called the anesthesiologist to come and give me an epidural. I was in so much pain and was not sleeping at all anymore. It felt like every time one contraction would end another would start right on top of it. I was holding Jeremiah's had so hard that I am surprised that he was not bruised the next day. I kept flopping from one side of the bed to the other and gripping the hand rails to the bed. I was gripping them so hard that Valerie told me later that she thought I was going to rip them off the bed and I had a bruise where the IV was in my hand from the pressure that I had put it under. I also had bruises from my blood pressure cuff on one side and my gown on the other. I had Valerie rubbing my lower back so hard that it was also bruised later. I remember telling Valerie that she had lied to me and told me that labor was not that bad! I was ready to just give up at this point. I was in such pain and there was really nothing that I could do to ease it. It felt like years ago that we had asked for the epidural and where the heck was that guy anyway. The nurse kept telling me to let the pain take over my body and I just wanted to yell at here that I really had no choice in the matter, that the pain was taking over whether I was letting it or not! The only reason she did not get yelled at or hit was because I was just in to much pain to have to move for any unnecessary reason! There was a lot of crying on my part and it totally ruined my makeup!

Mom came in at 10:40 a.m. and everyone (but me) thought that it was FINALLY the anesthesiologist. I was kind of grateful that it was mom but I do have to admit that there was a lot of swearing going on at this point! Each time a contraction started I would say oh my he** or Oh Sh** or Son of a Bi***! It really hurt, okay! I'm sorry!!!! There really are worse things that I could have been saying and was trying to hold back on account that mom was there and there was a student nurse who was still in High School there also! I have to give mom kudos for not yelling at me to stop swearing! She did tell me later that she was pretty worried about me and didn't think that I would have been able to have this baby without an epidural. I completely agree with her!

Finally I received the epidural at 11:00 a.m. and instantly felt like I might live through this pain! Probably because at this point I was not feeling any!! While I was getting the epidural everyone left the room and Jeremiah went down to the cafeteria and got a hot dog and fries. Mom said that it looked DELICIOUS! I was completely trashed by now but just so grateful to not have to be feeling anymore contractions so everyone came back in the room and we just chatted for awhile and I tried to do a little damage control with my makeup but I knew that I would probably cry again when the baby was born so didn't put more mascara on!

At 1:00 p.m. the nurse came in to check me and said okay you're at a 5. I said, well that's better than a four and she responds with "April Fools, your a 10!" So she called Dr. Hall and he came down and checked also. He had her start me pushing since she was not crowning yet. Jeremiah held one leg for me and the student nurse held the other.

Kathryn came in at 1:45 p.m. and Grandma Aldridge showed up about 5-10 minutes later. So we had a FULL house! Dr. Hall came in at about 2:00 p.m. and the baby was born at 2:08 p.m.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: