My Pregnancy

pregnancy calendar

Thursday, April 30, 2009

My accomplishments at 4 weeks old

Isn't it enough that I was born????



Wren is an amazing baby! For the past month we have fallen in love with her more and more every day. She is such a good baby.

On April 13th, she slept for eight and a half hours. Mom was VERY scared when she woke up and it was light outside! Most nights she has at least one stretch between feedings that is between 5 and 6 hours long. Granted, she does not sleep for the entire first stretch of "sleep" time. She usually will eat at about 11 p.m. then stay awake and want to be held or just suck on her binky and stare around until 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. then she will wake up between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. to eat again then sleep until at least 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. I usually pull her into my bed after this feeding to cuddle and sleep with me for the next couple of hours until it is time to eat again. I heard someone say on TV last night about breastfeeding moms "What is night? It is just when I get to put my sweatpants on and then it gets dark outside and no one is calling or coming by, but it is like every other part of my life, I just get a couple of naps!" I thought that was pretty accurate!

On April 15th, Wren lost her umbilical cord. I was really glad, it had been hanging on by the smallest of attachments for the longest time it seemed! It did scare me when I went to change her diaper and it just fell out of her onsie!

April 16th was her first doctor's appointment. The doctor (Dr. Bennett) said that she was "wonderfully perfect" and I was inclined to agree with him! She weighed in at 7 pounds 4 ounces. SOOO tiny!

She also had her first bath today, it was pretty sad. She cried and screamed and in general let us know that it was not her favorite thing in the world to do. Since then she has had two more baths and they seemed to have gone a little better than the first. Hopefully she will begin to truly enjoy getting clean because we really really like it when she smells so yummy after bath time!

Wren has also started to smile. It is sooo adorable and makes everyone so happy!! Sometimes it is like she has forgotten how to do it but her eyes will be smiling and she will open her mouth really wide! I like that almost as much as the actual smile!

Within the last week or so she has also started to coo. It is cute! There are times that she will have her Binks in her mouth and try to "talk" around it so she is chewing on the binky and cooing at the same time, I love it!!!

I was very worried about starting to give her a bottle, but I want to be able to sleep through the night every once in awhile so I have been pumping and the one night she woke up right after I had pumped and was hungry, so dad gave her first bottle and she took it like a champ! The reason I was worried is because of all the literature they give you about "nipple confusion" so I was worried when I tried to nurse her at her next feeding but she latched right back on and I actually think that it helped with the latching issues that we seemed to be having. So I have been going back and forth between bottle and breast and she is doing great with both.
She has also learned to be a bobble head. When we hold her upright, or as upright as she can be at this point, she will hold her head up by herself and "bobble" around! It is really quite cute and you can really see how much effort is put into it! Wow, I love this kid!

Overall, she is a very happy, peaceful and content baby. Mostly she only cries when she is hungry or cold (usually when she is naked!!). The car does NOT soothe her at this point, as Aunt Valerie can attest to. We went to eat one day and Valerie took her to her house afterward so that I could go and help Mike do something and Ms. Wren SCREAMED her head off the entire way home, she was starving!!! Poor girl!

Jeremiah and I are both loving being parents and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. We are so happy to have this girl in our lives and are so thankful to our heavenly father for entrusting us with this special spirit.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Shy said...

Sooooo cute! I love hearing all about her. I can't wait to meet her and hold her....Sounds like the perfect baby with a sweet personality to boot :)

Steve and Katie said...

she keeps getting cuter! How great that she is going well with switching between bottle and breast, that can get tricky! LOVE THE BOW!!!!!!! :) Glad you are doing well!